BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – The Gardner-Webb men's tennis team earned an exciting 4-3 win over Queens in front of a large, energetic crowd at the GWU Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon.
"We had a great atmosphere today, with a lot of fans for both teams," stated GWU head coach Mike Griffith after the match. "The difference between us and Queens was our start at doubles play and getting that points. We then took the first set in five of the six singles matches to keep the momentum. Queens is a very good team and well coached. I'm excited for our team for gaining this win."
Action began with doubles play, were the pairing of Michael Perry and Ross Gilbert quickly defeated Joel Dunlap and Will Robertson at the No. 3 spot to give GWU early momentum. Maximilian Scholll and Paul Hogan took down Andor Vas and Paolo Bompieri at the No. 1 position to seal the doubles point for the Runnin' Bulldogs to take the early 1-0 lead at the onset of singles action.
At the No. 6 position, Breno Plentz picked up a straight set win over Zach Williams, and was followed by Scholl at the No. 1 spot, who beat Jules Athalis in straight sets to give GWU a 3-0 lead.
The Runnin' Bulldogs would clinch the overall match win at the No. 2 position, as Paul Hogan took down Bompieri in consecutive sets, with the second set going into a tiebreaker.
Gardner-Webb returns to action tomorrow afternoon, hosting Pfeiffer at 2:00 pm.
Gardner-Webb 4, Queens 3
1. Maximilian Scholl/Paul Hogan (GWU) def. Andor Vas/Paolo Bompieri (QUEENS) 6-4
2. Giovanni Setti/Sebastian Meum (QUEENS) vs. Stefano Puga/Breno Plentz (GWU) 5-4, unfinished
3. Michael Perry/Ross Gilbert (GWU) def. Joel Dunlap/Will Robertson (QUEENS) 6-2
1. Scholl (GWU) def. Jules Athalis (QUEENS) 6-3, 6-3
2. Hogan (GWU) def. Bompieri (QUEENS) 6-3, 7-6(2)
3. Agustin Aran Martin (QUEENS) def. Schmidt (GWU) 4-6, 6-7(3)
4. Vas (QUEENS) def. Puga (GWU) 6-4, 5-7, 3-6
5. Setti (QUEENS) def. Gilbert (GWU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-7(4)
6. Plentz (GWU) def. Zach Williams (QUEENS) 6-2, 6-2