Women's Soccer Plays Maryland To 1-1 Draw Sunday Afternoon On The Road

Women's Soccer Plays Maryland To 1-1 Draw Sunday Afternoon On The Road

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Jessica Ferguson scored the equalizer in the 72nd minute, and Gardner-Webb played Maryland to a 1-1 draw in its first road match of the season.

The Runnin' Bulldogs (0-1-1) outshot the Terrapins (0-1-1), 15-14, with both teams putting seven shots on goal in a tightly contested match. GWU had nine of its shots in the second half, with six of those on goal.

The match was delayed more than an hour before starting at 2:20. Another hour-long delay kept the teams in the locker room at halftime.

"When you put this result into context of playing Friday, getting on a bus Saturday for a 10-hour trip, the hour delay before kickoff and another hour delay at the half, I am very proud of how the girls battled back and found the equalizer," said head coach Mike Varga. "In our locker room, they were disappointed with the tie. We had some chances in the second half and overtime to get the result. It is a very positive sign for us moving forward and something to build on for this team."

Ferguson (Lawrence, Kan.) scored off an assist from freshman Eline Glamsland (Lillesand, Norway), tapping into the net after the initial shot by Glamsland was blocked. Ferguson came in as a substitution just moments earlier (67:19) and made the most of her appearance.

The Runnin' Bulldogs had a nice chance just 41 seconds later, as Justine Ibarra's corner kick at 72:49 led to a shot attempt from freshman Stina Kleppe (Skein, Norway) that sailed high. Ibarra attacked the goal again in the 86th minute, but her shot was saved by Terrapins' keeper Rachel Egyed at the 86:12 mark.

Maryland's Lisa Bianchini answered with a shot on goal quickly, but GWU keeper Keely Brown (Finneytown, Ohio) saved the attempt with 86:39 on the clock. Bianchini got off another shot at the 87:49 mark, but it was wide.

Neither team would muster a push in the final two minutes, sending the match to overtime.

Bianchini was wide again with a shot at in the 91st minute and a three corner kicks by the Terps were turned away over the next three minutes, with Brown saving the lone shot during that stretch.

Glamsland nearly delivered a win for Gardner-Webb, with her shot at the 96:20 mark banging off the crossbar. The shot came after another corner by Ibarra.

The second overtime period saw five combined fouls whistled and only two shots taken, with neither of those chances threatening the goal late in the period. Jane Perrin Mayer's shot at 107:16 was wide and Maryland's Madison Turner also got off a shot that was wide less than a minute later.

Maryland took its 1-0 lead on Chelsea Jackson's tally in the 39th minute, taking an assist from Kady Badham to get on the board. The Terrapins would hold that lead into the locker room at half.

Jackson led the Terps with four shots (three on goal). Bianchini and Jarena Harmon had three shots each for the home side.

Ibarra was active for the 'Dogs, leading the side with four shots – all on goal – while playing 110 minutes. Kleppe also had four shots in 110 minutes, with Glamsland and Brandi Arey (Huntersville, N.C.) with two shots each.

Five different GWU field players saw action for all 110 minutes.

Brown played the duration of the match between the posts, collecting six saves. The sophomore played every minute of last season's 19 matches as a true freshman.

Gardner-Webb will return home for its next match, hosting Davidson on Friday, August 26. Kickoff is set for 7:00 pm in Greene-Harbison Stadium.

Gardner-Webb's last win over a Power 5 Conference squad in women's soccer came on September 3, 2006 – a 3-2 decision over Mississippi State – in Boiling Springs.