Women's Soccer Drops 2-1 Heartbreaker In Overtime To Appalachian State

Women's Soccer Drops 2-1 Heartbreaker In Overtime To Appalachian State


BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.- Keely Brown made eight crucial saves for Gardner-Webb, but Appalachian State's Jane Cline scored a goal in the 107th minute to give the Mountaineers a 2-1 win.

The Runnin' Bulldogs fall to 2-4-2 overall, while Appalachian State improves to 5-2-0 on the season.

"That was a tough match to lose," said head coach Mike Varga. "We played hard for the duration and I was proud of our effort. Appalachian State is a quality team and they capitalized on our mistakes like a good team will do.

"Now we need to recover, lace them up and do it again at NC State on Sunday night."

Appalachian State had an opportunity for a quick score just two minutes into the game as Jackie Nieradka had the first corner kick of the match which was stopped by the Gardner-Webb defense.

Gardner-Webb's first go at goal came in the seventh minute of the match when Samuelle Grove took a shot that sailed wide right.

The Mountaineers had another great chance with 35-minutes left in the first half when Jane Cline found a wide open hole in the Runnin' Bulldogs' defense from 20 yards out and put one on target that sailed high. Brown dove for the save to keep Appalachian State off the board.

Appalachian State controlled possession and spent the rest of the first half in Gardner-Webb territory, but the GWU defense was stout and did not allow a goal as the teams went into the break scoreless.

The Mountaineers came out of the break still maintaining pressure as Morgan Mosack placed a shot on goal, but her chance went high over the crossbar just 20 seconds into the half.

The Runnin' Bulldogs tried to take the momentum away in the 47th minute of the match as Eline Glamsland was able to find a break in the Mountaineers' defense and sent a ball flying over top of the net.

Appalachian State tried to break the scoreless draw as they would have four corner kicks in an 80-second span that started in the 51st minute, but the Gardner-Webb defense prevailed and kept the match scoreless.

The Mountaineers had another run in the 61st minute as Maggie Hanusek would a have a go at the the goal – but Brown turned her away.

Gardner-Webb finally broke the tie as Bailey Hierholzer scored her first collegiate goal off a free kick from Bri Nagle in the 66th minute.

Appalachian State would come roaring back and tying the match up as Jane Cline was able to play a chip shot over the Gardner-Webb keeper just four minutes later.

Both teams would go cold over the final 20 minutes of the half as both teams came up empty on an ample number of opportunities to send the match into overtime.

Gardner-Webb opened the overtime period with a shot by Grove from the right side of the 18-yard box, which was saved by Appalachian State's keeper Taylor Ray.

The Mountaineers would answer back with two shots of their own just a minute later as Emmily Cowie and Jackie Nieradka got shots away. Cowie's would go wide and Nieradka's was stopped by the ever-active Brown.

Appalachian would end the match in the 107th minute as Cline knocked home a rebound shot off the foot of Jenn Bass.

Hierholzer scored her first collegiate goal for Gardner-Webb to pace an offense that contributed 15 shots (three on goal). Grove and Kleppe each had four shots a piece.

Appalachian State was led by Cline, who had both goals on nine shots (three on goal). The Mountaineers had 29 shots for the match (10 on goal).

Gardner-Webb will return to action this Sunday, September 11 as they travel to Raleigh to take on the N.C. State Wolfpack. Kickoff is set for 7:00 pm.